An Imago therapy session is quite different than traditional marriage counseling. How can you tell?
The moment you enter the office, you’ll notice that there are two chairs facing each other. While you may want to shift them to face the therapist, you’ll see that they were put in that position intentionally.
More inspiration about an Imago Therapy Session:
- The Imago dialogue ensures a therapist won’t take sides
- Imago workshops are marriage retreats like no other
- How do you see your partner? Learned from an Imago marriage retreat
- More than just a communication technique, Imago therapy is deeply healing
Why do Imago therapists put the chairs in that fashion?
Your relationship is the focus of the session and you will be doing most of the talking to your spouse, not the therapist.
You can expect the therapist to emphasize the importance of safety and introduce the mirroring technique where you learn how to listen without judgment and reactivity.
While it may feel awkward at first, you will quickly appreciate the value of it as you’ll truly feel heard for the first time and you’ll be able to control your reactivity when you listen to a difficult issue.
What else can you expect in your first Imago therapy session?
- You can expect to explore the childhood connection of the frustrations you are experiencing in your relationship because Imago therapy believes that we pick a partner who will trigger our unmet childhood needs or wounds.
- Our partner will remind us of some of these painful memories.
- It is when we both get conscious about this that we will see us get unstuck from the current power struggle and see the bigger picture.
- Instead of feeling criticized when we hear a frustration we will have greater compassion and sensitivity for our spouse when we realize it is usually only partially about us, and much more about the past hurt that is being triggered.
- You can expect to have your eyes opened to a new way of understanding your relationship, a more effective way to work together, and hope of the possibility of a better future together.
If you’re looking for marriage counseling that will be a positive experience rather than a negative one, Imago therapy is a marriage counseling approach that focuses on helping you reconnect with the therapist only there as a guide, not as a mediator or as “expert”.
You can see how marriage counseling that is setup where the therapist is the “expert” can lead to all kind of potential problems.
Talk with us today to begin healing the past, improve your health, become more successful with our 2 Day Marriage Restoration Retreat. We’ve already done the work and created the proven formula that helps 90% of our couples stay together and happy. Talk with us today about the Marriage Restoration Retreat!
There’s nothing quite like the power of gaining clarity on a confusing situation. Complete the form below to talk with Rabbi Slatkin to see what he thinks would be best for you and your unique situation.