The fifth Secret of Successful Dating-Be true to yourself. There are three components we will touch on for Dating without Drama Installment #5.
- know yourself
- be yourself
- trust yourself.
It is also helpful for you to know your growth areas-what your strengths are and what your weaknesses are. This will help you be more aware about yourself so that whatever choice you make, you will be making more of an informed choice as less crucial data is lying beneath the surface. Don’t worry too much, though! Ultimately, you will wind up with the person that is best suited for you.
2) Be yourself– So many men and women go out on a date and pretend to be someone they are not, thinking that if they act a certain way, they may be more likeable. Pretending to be something that you are not is a mistake.
People must like you for you! Marry someone who appreciates your unique qualities and essence, not what you are pretending to be. Trust that if you’re genuine, you will find your perfect match!
3) Trust Yourself– This is a biggie and can often make or break a match. People seek advice from well-meaning family and friends. Unfortunately, everyone thinks they are the expert. A good way to evaluate the usefulness of their advice is whether those friends are able to listen to you like we discussed in installment #4 or whether they are steering you in their own agenda of what they think is best for you.
Take for example the girl who advised her sister to stop dating a guy because he wore jeans all the time and she felt that jeans were too casual and unprofessional. While the sister eventually stopped dating him for other reasons, she was not bothered by the fact that he wore jeans. The sister made her own decision, realizing that her older sister was needlessly meddling in.
Or what about the girl who was sure she had found her future husband, only to have her best friend interfere and suggest that he really wasn’t what she was looking for. She knew deep down inside that he was for her but she became very confused and almost sabotaged the relationship. Thankfully, she trusted herself well enough and realized that her friend was not looking out for her best interest.
How to trust yourself and your intuition.
The first thing to do is get out of your head. This is hard to do because we are often afraid of making the wrong decision. It often feels safer if we analyze and over-analyze. In the end, it is hard to have feelings for someone if you are coldly comparing them to a wishlist.
Begin to listen to yourself. Deep down you will know what’s right. Trust yourself. This internal awareness is also crucial in terms of articulating to our family and friends what we are truly looking for. They might think your mate is not the right fit for you because you never really told them what was truly important to you. This will likely lead to their interference.
One must act wisely and use some discretion and at the same time realize that we have all the answers we need inside ourselves. Ultimately, you know what feels right for you and it is important to trust that.
Wrap Up Lesson 5
How to be true to yourself
- Know yourself- be aware of what you want and who you are so that you can make an informed decision
- Be yourself- don’t try to be someone you are not
- Trust yourself- get in touch with your gut as you will be the only one that has to live with the decision you make.
I hope you found Dating without Drama: The Five Secrets to Successful Dating informative and helpful. I really feel that if you implement these secrets you will have a much more enjoyable and productive dating experience.
While for many these tips are all they need to propel forward, others find that coaching is beneficial to discuss a little bit more about what might be getting in the way on their path towards learning how to get married.
In my phone-coaching sessions with singles, you and I will get to explore these tips by discussing real life experiences that are unique to you as well as practice scenarios so that you can master these techniques.
I have seen too many singles who are suffering and are tired of playing “dating games”. There is no reason why you should have to suffer any longer. Decide to incorporate these principles- and choose to Date without Drama!
If you need further assistance, you can contact us to schedule your personal phone coaching or skype session by clicking here: http://themarriagerestorationproject.com/contact-us/